Please read through the information below to find more information on setting Parental Controls, creating new Users.
Note: Controls must first be set up in Settings before the Parental Controls on/off button will appear on the Menubar.
Controls let you turn on and off all parental controls for your service. With Parental Controls on, the kids can watch TV without you constantly worrying they may see something inappropriate. With Controls off, adults can watch their programs without repeatedly entering a password.
When Controls are on, titles of programs that exceed your parental control settings will not be shown. Once Controls are turned off, all program titles will be shown.
- Press Menu and highlight Parental Controls. The Menu lets you know if controls are on or off.
- If parental controls are in effect, the Parental Controls button will say On.
- If parental controls have been turned off, the Parental Controls button will say Off.
- To Disable Controls, highlight the Controls icon and press OK to bring up the password screen. Use the Number Pad to enter your parental controls password. Then highlight OK and press OK.
- When you disable controls, they will remain that way until you turn them back on, or the Parental Controls Time Out is reached. The time out is the maximum period of time for which Parental Controls will be disabled.
- At the end of the Parental Controls Time Out, the system will automatically restore Parental Controls. You will see an alert on the screen just before parental controls are restored.
- To Enable Controls, press Menu and highlight Controls, then press OK. Controls are now in effect.
Settings gives you control over your video service. You can choose to share purchased programing, change how alerts appear on your screen, create parental controls and block channels. You can also create accounts for members of your family.
To adjust your settings, press Menu and highlight Settings. Then enter your password, highlight OK and press OK. There are two main sections of Settings: Preferences and Users.
Preferences are settings that affect your overall service. This includes if purchased programing is shared between users, if users must log in, how on-screen alerts are handled, parental controls and blocked channels that apply to everyone, and what Theme is used.
Working With Preferences
NOTE: Share Rentals and Require Login are only needed if you intend to use User Accounts (i.e. an account for children).
- Share Rentals makes purchased programing available for any user (enabled), or only available to the user who makes the purchase (disabled). To turn Share Rentals on or off, highlight the check box and press OK.
- Require Login determines if a user name and password must be entered before being able to use your TV service. To turn Require Login on or off, highlight the check box and press OK.
- Channel Blocking enables or disables the list of channels you have blocked. Blocked channels do not appear in Guide. To turn Channel Blocking on or off, highlight the check box and press OK. To edit the list of channels that are blocked, highlight the Edit button and press OK.
- Parental Control turns all parental control settings on or off for all users. To turn Parental Control on or off, highlight the check box and press OK.
Channel Blocking Edit displays a list of all channels available. You can then block or unblock any channel. Blocked channels will not appear in your channel lineup.
- To block channels, highlight the Channel Blocking Edit button and press OK.
- If no changes have been made on the Preferences screen, you will go directly to the list of all available channels. If any changes have been made to the main Preferences screen and you have not already updated them, a Save Changes box will appear. Highlight YES and press OK if you wish to save these changes. The Settings Successfully Updated notice will then appear. Highlight OK, and press the OK button.
- The Channel Blocking list will appear. To block/unblock a channel, highlight the channel entry and press OK. To go to the next screen of channels, press the Up or Down Arrow Key. When complete, arrow to update and press OK.
Working with Settings/Users
User accounts allows you to have separate parental controls, purchase limits and themes for different family members. Users Settings allows you to add a user account, edit an existing user account, change parental controls for a user account, or delete a user account.
Note: The master account is the first account listed and is shown in yellow rather than white. You cannot delete the master account and cannot change the login name for the master account.
- To change the parental controls for an account, highlight that account and press OK. Then highlight Parental Controls and press OK. Parental Controls allows you to set ratings restrictions for each user.
- Movie Rating determines the highest rating for movies that will not be blocked. To set Movie Rating, highlight the option box next to Movie Rating and press OK. Use the Arrow Keys to cycle through available ratings, then press OK.
- TV Rating determines the highest rating for television that will not be blocked. To set TV Rating, highlight the option box next to TV Rating and press OK. Use the Arrow Keys to cycle through available ratings, then press OK.
- Unlock Timeout (Only Available on Master Account) determines how long parental controls will remain disabled when turned off from the Main Menu. To set Unlock Timeout, highlight the option box next to Unlock Timeout and press OK. Use the Arrow Keys to display from 30 min to 270 min in 30 minute increments, then press OK.
- Block Unrated (Only Available on Master Account) allows or blocks any program that does not have a rating. To turn Block Unrated on or off, highlight the check box and press OK.
- Content Rating determines the type of content that will be blocked:
- S - Sexual Situations
- L - Language
- D - Suggestive Dialogue
- V - Violence
- F - Fantasy Violence
- To block a particular type of content, highlight the check box to the left of that item and press OK.
- Save or Discard Parental Control Preferences. Once you have changed any Parental Control Settings, highlight Submit and press OK. To discard your changes, highlight Cancel and press OK.
- To create a new user account, highlight the Add button and press OK.
- Highlight New Login to enter the name for the new account and press OK. An on-screen keyboard appears.
- Use the Arrow Keys to highlight a letter or number and press OK to add it to the login name. Once you have entered the desired name, highlight Done and press OK to return to the Create New User screen.
- Highlight New Password to enter the password for the new account. Use the number pad on your remote to enter the password.
- Highlight Confirm Password to re-enter the password for the new account. Use the number pad on your remote to re-enter the password exactly.
- Highlight Allowance $ to enter a limit to the amount of purchased programing that can be purchased per month for the new account. Use the number pad on your remote to enter a whole dollar amount (e.g. 200 to limit the account to $200.00).
- Highlight Enter PIN to enter the master account’s PIN as a further way of verifying the master account holder is creating this account. Use the number pad on your remote to enter the PIN. Now highlight Continue and press OK to go to the next Add User Account screen.
- The second Add User Account screen allows you to create parental controls specific to this user. These parental control settings are identical to the settings shown earlier with the exception that there is no Unlock Timeout or Block Unrated setting. Once you have entered the settings for the new account, highlight Submit and press OK.
- G: This is a film which contains nothing which would, in the view of the MPAA Rating Board, be offensive to parents whose younger children view the film.
- PG: The theme of a PG-rated film may itself call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity in these films. There may be some violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated film.
- PG-13: A PG-13 film is one which, in the view of the MPAA Rating Board, leaps beyond the boundaries of the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, or other contents, but does not quite fit within the restricted R category. Any drug use content will initially require at least a PG-13 rating.
- R: An R-rated film may include hard language, or tough violence, or nudity within sensual scenes, or drug abuse or other elements, or a combination of some of the above, so that parents are counseled to take this advisory rating very seriously.
- NC-17: NC-17 does not necessarily mean “obscene or pornographic” in the often accepted or legal meaning of those words. The MPAA Review Board does not and cannot mark films with those words. These are legal terms and for courts to decide. The reasons for the application of an NC-17 rating can be violence or sex or aberrational behavior or drug abuse or any other elements which, when present, most parents would consider too strong and therefore off-limits for viewing by their children.
For more information on the MPAA or the MPAA ratings system, please visit www.mpaa.com/movieratings.
- TV-Y: This program is designed to be appropriate for all children.
- TV-Y7: This program is designed for children age 7 and above. It may include mild fantasy violence or comedic violence.
- TV-G: Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
- TV-G: Most parents would find this program suitable for all ages.
- TV-PG: This program contains material that parents may find unsuitable for younger children.
- TV-14: This program contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
- TV-MA: This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.
Content Ratings are shown just below the program rating.
FV: Fantasy Violence (only applied to TV-Y7): For those programs where fantasy violence may be more intense or more combative than other programs in this category.
The meaning of a content rating increases as the program rating increases.
- Violence: TV-PG: Moderate; TV-14: Intense; TV-MA: Graphic
- Sexuality: TV-PG: Some; TV-14: Intense; TV-MA: Explicit
- Language: TV-PG: Infrequent; TV-14: Strong; TV-MA: Crude
- Dialogue: TV-PG: Some; TV-14: Intense; TV-MA: Not used
For more information on TV Parental Guidelines Monitoring Board and its rating system, please visit www.tvguidelines.org.